Thursday, April 7, 2011

RECIPE TIME! How about some strawberry stuffed french toast!?!?

I've got this recipe posted on my recipe blog as well, but it was tasty enough to share here too. :)

I remember when I started the Weight Watchers program, and somehow felt that my cooking would be so limited. I could not have been more WRONG! I have cooked and baked and created so much more NOW than I ever have in my life. And I LOVE that! I am always on the lookout for how to make a recipe a little bit healthier. And while nothing about stuffed french toast screams HEALTHY, per se, (well--except the strawberries!) it is a delicious and filling meal that would make a great entertaining dish at a brunch or for your own daily breakfast. Am experimenting with how they freeze this weekend, and I will definitely post an update! And really, you can't even have a bowl of cereal for 4 pts+ nowadays! :) My kids LOVED this and even added extra berries to theirs. So I'd say it's a clear winner in our breakfast rotation!


DSC_0651

Approx. 16 inches of hoagie roll bread
2 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese (softened at room temperature)
2 oz. plain fat free greek yogurt
3 TBSP. strawberry jam
3 egg whites
1/2 C skim milk
1 TBSP. ground cinnamon
1/4 C strawberries (diced)
1 TBSP sugar

Slice your bread into 1 1/2-2 inch slices. Then using a paring knife, cut a deep slit across the top in the middle of each slice. This will form your pocket. (don't cut all the way through!) Set bread aside.

Chop and rinse strawberries and put them in a bowl with sugar--set them aside.

In a bowl, mix cream cheese, greek yogurt, and strawberry jam together. MIX WELL.

Preheat skillet or griddle to about 350 degrees. (I use a big griddle, but you could use a pan over the stove as well)

Now it's time to get your egg dip ready. In a bowl, beat egg whites, milk, and cinnamon together. Take your strawberry filling and stuff a generous Tablespoon of it into your bread slice. Fill in with fresh strawberries. (you can also mix the strawberries in with the filling and save a step!) Soak your bread for about 15-20 seconds on each side in the egg mixture, and place on the griddle. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side.

Serve with powdered sugar and/or sliced almonds.

Could also serve with a light syrup, but we all thought it was delicious without!

Serves approx. 8 slices (4 pt+)


3 comments:

Missy said...

Oh, man, I wished I had looked at this before I made dinner tonight. (One sick kid and an oven that doesn't work...well breakfast for dinner, you know?)

I made the regular french toast out of the WW recipe book and it was lovely, but this...this looks divine and for less points!!!

I have noticed this too about the amount of creative cooking I have been up to lately because of weight watchers, instead of the restricted menu I thought I would have to stick to. But we eat more diverse now, then when we used all that unhealthy stuff...same bad food every...yuck!

C Smith said...

I will definitely try this. Looks so good! You could also use raspberries or blackberries. Yummy. Thanks for sharing. Our family loves your recipes.

Tammy Jackson said...

These were really yummy! However, I let them soak in the egg mixture for the 15-20 seconds and the bread became too mushy and I couldn't get it to dry up enough for my liking as it cooked. I will definitely make it again though.