Saturday, March 5, 2011

Little white lies...

I reached my weight loss goal the other day, so I am technically in maintaining mode right now.

It's a weird feeling--a GOOD FEELING! :)

And because I am still counting my points and tracking as part of my maintenance working towards lifetime, I obviously still keep a diligent record.

Today I was tallying things up and writing them down at the end of the day. I found myself in debate over a piece of garlic bread I had with dinner. I KNEW in my heart of hearts that if I honestly counted the points for it, it would be 4 points+.

But I didn't want to. I wanted that bread to magically only be 3 pt+. It makes no sense, I know.
 ONE LOUSY LITTLE POINT.

And so I wrote it in. 3 pt+.

It made me think about how far I have come--where I have been in my life--and what losing all this weight has given me. Do I think that fibbing on my 1 little point would have made me gain back everything I lost or be a total deal breaker on the scale this week? No...no, I don't.

But the truth of the matter is, it's the little white lies that got me where I was before...the "I'm only ate a few chips" that really translated into half the previously unopened bag. There is freedom in facing the facts about what you're eating. If I had told myself tonight that my garlic bread was only 3 points, I would forever think of it as only being 3 pts. And I would forever calculate it as that. And what if there is another day, when I don't like another points value...and I decide to fib a little there too...

How many points will it take to get me off track...to lie to myself enough to give up what I have worked so hard for?

I quickly went back and changed the points. 4 pt+ for my piece of garlic bread.

There. I did it. It felt good. It felt real. And honest.

The only way to change a problem is to face it right on. To avoid or deny, is to skate around the real issues at hand...and the way to keep yourself from growing and progressing.

And I guess that's just my challenge to you...and to me...to avoid the little white lies...that the couple crackers here and there don't have points if you don't track them, or that the 3/4 of the sandwich really only counted as half...or that the garlic bread was 3 points instead of 4.

The scale, your body and your mind will thank you...and I think you'll find in yourself a greater dedication to eat right--not just now, but always.

3 comments:

C Smith said...

Little white lies totally got me to where I was. I love this post. So true!

Missy said...

I am a new WW member and have found this to be all to true! I always want to calculate in my favor but I know that kind of rational is the reason I am a WW member in the first place. I need to be 100% accountable for every bite. My motto lately is...if it goes in, it counts! Tastes at Costco...start tallying...a snitch here or there of the meal to test it...count it. It also pushes me towards better choices. I mean seriously I am not overweight because I fibbed with fresh fruit and veggies.

Rachel Holloway said...

SO true Missy! And while things can't always be 100% accurate (I mean, some things may honestly be off a point or two here and there due to portions, etc) but it's important to just be honest with yourself!