Thursday, March 24, 2011

What works...

I have had a lot on my mind--thinking about our big upcoming move and all that is to be done for that...thinking about this blog, and whether or not it is doing much good (sometimes I feel like I'm speaking to an empty room. lol), and thinking about weight loss in general.

I'll admit, I had a couple "off" days last week. I'm an AVID tracker--when I joined WW I set out to make it almost a game. And it is to me now...kind of like I am on the Price Is Right...wanting to get as close to the goal number without going over. :) But I had a day or two recently that I just didn't track. Period. And part of me felt kind of guilty, while part of me just was at peace with it. (don't you hate those devil vs. angel fights??) They were also the days I just munched on whatever. BLAH.

At my WW meeting this week, we talked about what works for me in regards to weight loss, and what DOESN'T work. I had a couple things come to mind...

1. What works for me is TRACKING. I feel so much better knowing what I am eating, keeping tabs on it so it's not a mindless game. I like feeling in control. And honestly when I track, I feel liberated in my food choices. The numbers let me know what I can still fit in to my day (or week, if I am using my weekly points) and it helps me keep my choices in check.

2. What works for me is EATING FILLING FOODS. The extent of our St. Patrick's Day celebrations here was treating the kids to a box of Lucky Charms. :) We hardly ever have sugar cereal. Well, after the 2nd day of them eating it, I broke down and decided to have a bowl myself. I measured it out. I counted the points for it. 3 pt+ for 3/4 C of Lucky charms...just in case you're wondering. PLUS the skim milk I put on....1 pt+. PLUS the 2 pieces of light toast I had...2 pt+...plus the butter...1 pt+. And I did have a banana to go with it...

Pretty soon I was at 7 pt+ for a breakfast that I wasn't even full after eating!

Other meals I could have eaten for 7 pt+...

2 chunky monkey pancakes with peanut butter syrup and fruit

baked oatmeal with a side of fruit

Hash brown casserole with a piece of whole wheat toast

banana pancakes and syrup, 1/2 C egg beaters--scrambled, 2 pieces of turkey bacon, 2/3 C frozen hash browns.

AND YET, I chose 3/4 C of Lucky Charms. :)

My point is, I somehow had thought I was missing out by not eating those dang Lucky Charms. The fact is, and I realized this AFTER eating them, I totally don't MISS them, per se. At least not as a meal. Should I choose to have Lucky Charms again, I won't be using all those points as a meal--but maybe a snack. I just know that for ME, I feel SO much better---so much LESS like snacking all day while trying to fill that hunger void I have because I didn't eat something substantial--when I eat something good and filling to start the day.

And along those lines, one more thing that works for me...

Having those very "off" days once in a while...

I learned a lot about myself those days. Strange, right? :) I learned that my body truly DOES feel much better when I eat right. I feel better about myself when I am in control and not reverting back to the mindless snacker that just ate to eat. And all those foods I thought I was missing out on by not choosing to eat them...well....truth is, I don't miss them at all. They've been replaced, by bigger and better things. And I like that fact. I like that I can just let go of the idea that I was losing out by not eating huge portions and all sorts of chips and candy and other junk (mind you, I still eat those things on occasion and within reason).

 I don't miss the food I used to eat the way I used to eat it.

I'm different now. And seeing that change, makes me feel so very good.

And that is what works for me...

What works for YOU?

No comments: